The James Agency is filled with some pretty big personalities, but one of the biggest and larger-than-life personalities of our agency is none other than our public relations senior account manager, John Glynn. In this month’s TJA team talent, get to know John’s background and what got him started in the industry!
1. What college did you graduate from? Major?
Drake University, in Des Moines, IA. I majored in public relations and minored in business administration.
2. Where did you grow up?
3. What got you interested in the marketing/advertising agency?
I learned early on that I was an effective communicator and was able to get my ideas across in a clear, concise, convincing way. I always liked the idea of being able to craft the message that others would consume.
4. What are some challenges you face in your role at TJA?
Timing. Life, and particularly pr, is all about timing. We’re constantly competing against other companies and agencies for air time, real estate on page in print and digital space. We have to have a great reason for media coverage, as well as time it perfectly. So, we have to be both strategic, unique and timely.
5. What success have you had in your role at TJA?
We’ve had the opportunity to work on some pretty great accounts and win some pretty prestigious awards. Our department has won Spectrum awards, MarCom awards, PRSA awards and Copper Anvil awards.
6. What is your favorite part about your job?
Helping clients tell their stories and helping their businesses succeed.
8. What are some tools you use everyday that are specific to your role at TJA?
Email email email. Our department also uses Cision to track down journalists we don’t already have a relationship with, and we use News Exposure to track client mentions in the media.
9. What’s trending now in your department? What do you see happening in the future?
Lots of people say the press release is dead. It’s not. The days of bcc’ing hundreds of editors and producers on a press release is dead. We often get asked for a press release when a reporter picks up a story we’ve pitched, so that they have all the relevant information in one place.
10. What kind of work were you doing prior to TJA?
I was director of public relations at a golf ball company.
11. What would you tell someone who wants to start a career as a Senior PR Account Manager
Intern. Learn what makes a story. Watch TV. Read the news. Learn how to make and maintain friends. Learn that everything you do professionally must be mutually beneficial. Learn what makes a good placement for your client.